Tuesday, March 4, 2008

6 More Weeks of Winter

Somehow I missed it. Groundhog's Day came and went entirely without my notice. Not that I have big Groundhog Day parties or send out Groundhog Day greeting cards wishing all my beloveds a 'Happy Ridiculous Holiday' cards. But still, its a rather entertaining if not essential American tradition. I mean if Brittany Spears is going to gobble up cnn.com headlines, the least we can do is give Phil his moment in the spotlight. Maybe it did make the headlines and I missed it but I don't think so. Anyway, I was wondering when Groundhog Day was this year so I googled it and sure enough it has come and gone. It happened on February 2nd, which is apparently ALWAYS when it happens. And Phil declared that we would be having 6 more weeks of winter. Actually, according to the Groundhog.org web site, here is how it went down:

After casting a weather eye toward thousands of his faithful followers,

Phil consulted with President Cooper and directed him to the appropriate scroll, which proclaimed:

"As I look around me, a bright sky I see, and a shadow beside me.
Six more weeks of winter it will be!"


Now some may dismiss this as hooey but I am just as likely to trust a groundhog who's been at this since 1886 than I am to trust Al Roker. Real weather men actually get paid to be wrong 85% of the time. Phil just does out of a deep commitment to tradition and duty.

In case you were wondering, 30,000 people attended this years ceremony.


No comments: