Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Community Supported Agriculture

So, how would you like fresh, locally grown, not chemically enhanced vegetables delivered to your front door - or to a location conveniently located to your front door? You would? You would like that very much? Well, woo boy you're in luck. Let me introduce you to Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) . Here let me splain, no there is too much, let me sum up. . .

"A CSA, (for Community Supported Agriculture) is a way for the food buying public to create a relationship with a farm and to receive a weekly basket of produce. By making a financial commitment to a farm, people become "members" (or "shareholders," or "subscribers") of the CSA."

I am excited to announce that Kelly and I have become proud shareholders of Bull Run Mountain Farm (http://www.bullrunfarm.com/index.html). For the bargain price of $360 we get 20 weeks of fresh herbs & produce delivered to a park about 2 miles from the house. We also get a weekly newsletter letting us know how our crop is doing, online recipes (which will be super helpful when we get our crate of Rutabaga), AND we can head out to the farm to visit our vegetables whenever we're in the area.

WARNING SOAP BOX:
I'll be brief about it . . . supporting local agriculture is HUGE for the environment, economy, and our health and well being. Ok, I'm done.

If you're at all interested and you live somewhat near me, Bull Run Mountain Farm just might be the CSA for you. If you're interested and don't live near me, move b/c I miss my friends. Or I suppose you could check out Local Harvest's web site for CSAs near you: http://www.localharvest.org/

It also has info about Farmer's Markets and other sundry things in the agricultural realm. So, enjoy and here's to fresh vegi's and to saving the world one cabbage patch at a time ; )

In case you were wondering, our first Peck will include: Broccoli, Cilantro, Mesclun Mix, Radish, Spinach, Cauliflower, Garlic Flowers, Arugula, Mizuna, Tatsoi, Pac Choi, Lettuce, Stir Fry Mix.

2 comments:

The Georgia Caspermeyer's said...

But no pickled peppers....alas....

Alvaro52 said...

Kudos for practicing what you preach! P.S. watch out for the eggs. My girlfriend here was being supportive of local produce and brought home free range chicken eggs. She cracked one open and whoopsie dasies....there was a chick.